Bob's Blog

This Blog will follow my adventures - well holidays really. Hopefully you will want to tell me what you enjoyed in the countries I have visited and maybe recommend places to go.

Saturday, January 08, 2011

Tango Festival Edinburgh 3 - 7 December

I braved the deep snow and uncertain rail journeys to visit Kay for Bailonga, the second of the Tango Festivals that Edinburgh put on each year.
My journey was crowded and took about an hour longer than expected, so I was very lucky compared to many travellers. The train terminated at Edinburgh as nothing was travelling further north! The snow around Kay’s apartment was at least a foot deep although the main roads were more or less clear and traffic flowing well.
Getting around was not too difficult although we probably used more taxis because of the freezing conditions.
We did 4 workshops, which were excellent, 3 milongas and danced at the lunch time gathering. I enjoy the learning process in the workshops most and it was great to partner Kay as I think we dance very well together. The relaxed atmosphere at lunch times is very enjoyable. The milongas, which should be the best aspect, where one can show off all the moves that have been learnt, are disappointing! It is usually too crowded although I am doing my best to dance small steps in close embrace as practice for Buenos Aires.
I stayed for the Monday to go to Jenny and Ricardo’s lesson but the snow came down, the buses stopped running, and we were snowed in. Next morning, although my train had disappeared from the internet listings, it was there ready to leave on time and my journey home was not delayed significantly.
Kay and I had a good time, battling the snow and the cold, and I look forward to dancing with her again soon. I feel I have a good friend in a lovely city, which is also the best centre for tango in the UK.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home