Bob's Blog

This Blog will follow my adventures - well holidays really. Hopefully you will want to tell me what you enjoyed in the countries I have visited and maybe recommend places to go.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Sueno Porteno - Boedo Tango

This was the real thing!
I paid to go in (less than 4 pounds) - changed my shoes and then entered the room. As always you wait to be shown to a table. Those around the floor are usually reserved. Tables are set in rows away from the floor, alternating a row for men, a row for women. Already I am nevous!
The floor clears comletely after a tanda (group of tracks) and the cortinas (non-tango music in between tandas) are long. Seemingly at random all over the seated area people stand up. meet at the floor and dance. But eyes have flashed and contact made. I am more nervous!
I make eye contact, mumble 'would you like to dance' which may be lip read in Spanish as "I will give you large amounts of money' - who knows. I raise an eyebrow, start to stand up and low and behold she smiles and also stands up. The deed is done. We are on the floor dancing, close embrace as everyone else. It is not overcrowded but still nobody seems to do anything but twirl around and a few ochos.
I have several good dances and everyone was kind. Nobody spoke good English but a few messages were exchanged. One woman gave me a little applause as we had no common language. How lovely. Some dances were a little awkward as the followers seemed to have an agenda of what they wanted to do!
This place caters for the older set. Don't say it - I know - that's where I belong. Not as smart as I imagined - no jeans, no T shirts but very ordinary shirts and trousers. The women just smart and none trying to look spectacular. Maybe 200 dancing in a large L shaped room. Seating for many more as they hold shows.
It started at 8 but has food and drink available. It would be good to make a night of it with a group. I left about midnight but people were arriving as I was told it runs to 5am. Music for a 9 hour milonga!!

I have been taking taxis everywhere and have never waited more than 1 minute for one to turn up. One journey took me along Avenida 9th July which has 6 lanes in each direction! I counted 7 cars across but both statements can be true. Lane discipline is non-existant.

I had a lesson with Edith who was recommended by Kathryn who spent a year over here. It was excellent, 3 men and 5 women, so some things are the same the world over.

3 Comments:

Blogger JAY said...

Bob, mate we are green with envy. Are the dancers as good as we imagine?

10:31 AM  
Blogger Regina said...

How exciting - I can't wait to get there Bob. You will be such an expert by then in tango etiquette!

4:17 AM  
Blogger Regina said...

Bob - have sent you e-mails and tried to text back on your Argentinian phone but they messages keep bouncing back. Please don't think I am ignoring you!!!

4:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home