Bob's Blog

This Blog will follow my adventures - well holidays really. Hopefully you will want to tell me what you enjoyed in the countries I have visited and maybe recommend places to go.

Friday, January 28, 2011

Colonial de Sacramento, Uruguay

L, T and I took a day trip to Uruguay on a Buquebus ferry - a one hour journey. Included was lunch and a tour - I think this was a mistake! I learnt that the Portugese settled here first and there are stone buildings and parts on the city walls from that period. Spain took over and there are clearly colonial style buildings.







Independance from Spain was in 1825 but despite Colonial being the first settlement, Montevideo is the capital.
Our lunch was in a farm some 20 minutes drive out of Colonial - the place we wanted to see! It was OK but they seemed to cook parts of the animals that I would be embarrassed to talk about, let alone eat.
Then the coach took us around the outskirts, nice beach, then into the centre where we walked. When the guide was finished with us we had 30 minute before back to the ferry.
From the comments I have had from friends who have visited, Colonial deserves better treatment than this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home