Bob's Blog

This Blog will follow my adventures - well holidays really. Hopefully you will want to tell me what you enjoyed in the countries I have visited and maybe recommend places to go.

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Spanish

I want to speak Spanish but I am very bad at it! I do not practice and this fills me with guilt. If you visit a country regularly I feel you should be able to communicate the essentials. I do know people who visit Argentina regularly and make no effort to speak a single word of the language. I don't think this shows respect.
I can sometimes compose a sentence and get the right thing to happen. I successfully complained that my Subte ticket did not work and I got a replacement. I booked a table but caused some confusion. Mediadia, middle of the day, straightforward. Add a media and it becomes half past twelve. But did medialuna (crescent moon or croissant) slip of my tongue? If so, I have booked a table at an indeterminate time in the best steak restaurant and will be served half a croissant!
Some you win, some you lose.

1 Comments:

Blogger Phil Adams said...

Ha. ha… strange how familiar this sounds.

I too felt frustrated at not being able to progress past my well rehearsed one liners that I remembered from my brief dip into Spanish, though it makes more determined to try and learn some more.

I somehow think you will manage to get that best steak (yet again) as I would be surprised if they did not recognise what some of their best customers like best.

Save the order for the medialunas until Ezieza and enjoy the ‘carne’ meanwhile.

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home