Bob's Blog

This Blog will follow my adventures - well holidays really. Hopefully you will want to tell me what you enjoyed in the countries I have visited and maybe recommend places to go.

Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Peso Panic leaving Buenos Aires - by guest author Phil.


Pablo, my good friend and inspiring dance teacher, delivered me with plenty of time to Ezeiza airport for my homeward bound flight to London Heathrow.

Now after a stay governed by pound, US dollar and peso mental calculations of exchange rates, my relatively easy mission was to leave with none of my last 100 Argentine pesos. Emerging from having my thumb print and photo taken from immigration, I was declared fit and free to be let loose on the obligatory duty free area, which is impossible to step around, being immersed in over powering fragrances and a myriad of designer labels, all priced only in US dollars. Nothing for me here to blow my pesos on.

So, continuing to the usual souvenir places, should I buy more postcards and posters or even a chef’s hat printed with the large word TANGO? It was a no brainer when I spotted the overpriced cafeteria. Three medialunas (small crescent like pastries) and a cafe con leche, with a bottle of water, a ‘bargain’ at 68 pesos!  Though three times the price of my favourite porteño pastry shop on the corner of the street where my apartment was, I handed over my 100 peso note and received back, three crumpled and barely legible 10 peso notes with an equally disgusting coin.
 But (there is always a but, the porteños will tell you) I still remained with a those few pesos in my pocket, which was probably meant to be. It seemed that I just had to bring this back home along with the numerous and many happy experiences and memories from this compulsive and intoxicating city of Buenos Aires, shared with good friends.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home