Bob's Blog

This Blog will follow my adventures - well holidays really. Hopefully you will want to tell me what you enjoyed in the countries I have visited and maybe recommend places to go.

Thursday, October 03, 2013

Taxis in BsAs

I am a lot more sympathetic about the driving in BsAs than I was, but not enough to try it. It is the complete disregard for lanes that is frightening. If they took out the white lines then the free for all could be appreciated. The drivers really do allow one another to cut in. It seems the one going fastest should be allowed through - there will be a reason for hurrying. The horn is usually just to indicate presence but now and again anger if somebody is leaving a gap of more than a couple of yards to the car  in front. The drivers have to be accurate to about 4" in their sideways position as that is all that is allowed in overtaking!
Because I have learnt my numbers I sit in the front of the taxi to give the address, with my head about 3" from the meter, continually wondering if the seat belt locking mechanism will stop my hair being parted if there is an emergency stop.
Sometimes it is not the numbers that is the problem
Me: Gurruchaga 2266 ( that has got us home many times)
Taxi: Gurruchaga o Gurruchaga ?
Me: Gurruchaga 
Taxi: grunt (translated as ok)
What was the significance of uttering those identical sounding words? I am sure there is no other Gurruchaga, not even deep in the Pampas.

Same taxi driver
Taxi: bla bla bla bla......
Me: No hablo Espanol
Taxi: bla bla bla bla.... Stops taxi!!
Taxi: bla bla bla Buenos Aires bla bla ....
Me (now expecting to be thrown out into the street, so with desperation: Me gusta (I love) Buenos Aires, Me gusta Argentina.
Taxi: grunt (translated as good) and we resume the journey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home