Bob's Blog

This Blog will follow my adventures - well holidays really. Hopefully you will want to tell me what you enjoyed in the countries I have visited and maybe recommend places to go.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Tango Styles

Only over the last few months after workshops with Homer and Christina and Horacio Godoy, have I begun to realise what these different styles are like.
Tango Salon is what we dance in England and it is the most prevalent style in BsAs. Close embrace (don't even think about open embrace unless you are going to do fancy steps and do let me know where you will find the space here) which leaves an open side.
In milonguero style the embrace is a very tight hold with bodies parallel. Normally my right arm just touches the back of the woman and indicates the space in which she can pivot. There is no pivot in milonguero style hence the woman is held tightly but not pulled into the man. One follower I danced with asked me to hold her more tightly. This has not happened to me for many, many years and when it last happened I did not have any clothes on! So all the movement from the woman is with the legs which are sent all over the place by the experienced (inevitably old, as the style is dying out) leader and to a very limited extent by me. It is obvious the woman wants milonguero style when you try an ocho and it does not work because she does not pivot.
It has taken 3 visits for the penny to drop!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home