Bob's Blog

This Blog will follow my adventures - well holidays really. Hopefully you will want to tell me what you enjoyed in the countries I have visited and maybe recommend places to go.

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Milonga Fatigue

What is Milonga Fatigue? Is it possible? Do alcoholics take pleasure in not having a drink? Do addicts welcome a break from their habit?
With two dancing days to go we have clocked up 27 milongas in 24 days and after an afternoon milonga, both heaved sighs of relief that we were going to stay in for the evening! The sad conclusion is that, either we are sad people, or that we are not true tango obsessives!
We have danced where the old folk go (El Aranque) but so friendly, where the young set dance splendidly (Club Villa Malcolm, Club Furgol), still friendly but more concerned with dancing amongst themselves. We have been where everybody seems to be, as the floor was so packed (Salon Canning). We have been to where it is very informal and they learn from great dancers (La Viruta and Horacio Godoy's team), to very splendid surroundings and a well dressed clientele (Salon Siranush). There are so many lovely venues, Sueno Porteno, Gricel, Obelisco Tango where the second time you go, you are greeted like old friends and are given a better table! And, of course, we have been many times to the place that shouts tango as soon as you climb those stairs, Confiteria la Ideal. 
We have danced to live orchestras (sometimes the entrance fee has been increased to £3 for that evening!) and three bandoneons reaching a climax is something to behold, visually as well as aurally. 
Is the dancing always wonderful, is the floor craft supreme? No it certainly is not! I am an intermediate dancer and generally go soon after a milonga starts and rarely get to 2 or 3am. Maybe the advanced dancers go late and mix with the teachers and the performers and have wonderful dances when there is space on the floor. Except at Canning where the floor craft has to be good because of the density of couples, it is not particularly good. There are many leaders who embark on a move involving 3 steps backwards! They do cross lanes and some insist on throwing legs out and spinning round to the disruption of all around.
Although the dancing was awesome at a couple of places, many women (I only dance with the women) go, as we do to jive and salsa, for a social dance. They don't wait, have poor posture, are heavy, sometimes lock you into an embrace that inhibits any movements and you just shuffle round the floor. Often this is because they want to dance milonguero style, no pivots, just legs doing things. However I have had some memorable dances which will stay with me.

Of course this is just the man's view. There are only certain tango moves I can do and I attempt to do those with everybody. Sometimes the woman will be delighted and I have earned  kisses (ok, only once!), many a muy bien or bueno, and felt really good about the dances. But when the woman does not ocho, you have to modify the style very quickly.
Maybe the followers view will be forthcoming on this blog.

1 Comments:

Blogger Phil Adams said...

Another leader’s view!

What an interesting view you give Bob. There are not many of us who would continually dance every afternoon and evening, but given the holiday time capsule we have (and some have the luxury of a time space ship!) it is little wonder that we do maximise our time in the many, varied milongas, going continually, each afternoon and evening.

It is true that they all have their own style and feel, even run by the same organisers, sometimes at different venues.
I observed that many tangueuros had their favourite time and place, seeing familiar faces at certain places. And maybe
this is what they describe as their tango home, which I think we all would find, given time from the restraint of a ‘go for it’
holiday. Even so, 27 milongas in 24days is quite impressive, apart from showing much dedication, so hats off to you.

Before my first, recent visit to Buenos Aires, trying to leave all my expectations at home, as it says in ‘the book’
I could not rid one thought in my mind that this would be a place where everyone is an expert and the standard of dancing
would be high. I even considered that I would get few dances, if any, with the porteño ladies and that I may end up dancing
more so with fellow tourists.

That said, I was pleasantly surprised that I managed several dances, not only with other tourists but also many porteños ladies and not once did I receive a ‘Gracias’ mid tanda (meaning thank you, the dance is now over) to my relief and sometimes amazement.Though I was left puzzled on many occasions at the differing style.

The milonguero style can be and is lovely, but limited compared to salon style tango. I heard it said by a local teacher that this was a very limited (boring, was the actual word used) way to dance and because so many people had been brought up on this,it proliferates, with some of the dancers taking only a few lessons and then just dance socially without trying to improve.

I had moments whereby, I was surprised by the followers reaction and movement, when I had led a seemingly basic step, doubting my ability to lead. I even had one lady point to the floor for me to place my leg (which I did, not knowing what she wanted) and then she did a gancho with no lead from me! I was gob smacked to say the least!

So, like you, I found some of the dancing not as good as I may have thought originally, though I did have some out of this world dances
which left me feeling absolutely wonderful and wanting to come back for more of this tango oblivion. I cannot wait until I once more climb those stairs at La Confiteria Ideal to hear the increasing tones of hypnotic bandoneons and violins, to emerge in a scene from the Golden Age and be a part of it.

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home