Bob's Blog

This Blog will follow my adventures - well holidays really. Hopefully you will want to tell me what you enjoyed in the countries I have visited and maybe recommend places to go.

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Tango in East Anglia, inc Cambridge, 6-10 June

This all happened because Sharon invited me over to dance. I drove across to Sharon on Wednesday, 6th, and tango that evening was at East Bergholt. A good crowd and a really good evening. However there was a real test to follow as Thursday is La Falena milonga, in Cambridge. Again a lovely evening, quite a range of standards as a lot of young people, presumably students, were there.
Friday I joined in with birthday celebrations for Sharon's relatives. They were all so lovely to welcome me into the group and I felt I had known them forever. That was in St Albans and we then drove to Bedford for the only tango we could find in the area. Begonia drove over from Nottingham. We had some good dances to Nuevo music, in a lovely village hall.
Saturday morning, Begonia and I went by train to Cambridge, to look at Attitude, a tango shoe shop. There was a very limited choice so that was disappointing but we enjoyed Cambridge and resolved to punt on the next visit! That evening, joined by Nikki and Jim, we were off to Tangamente in Cambridge. This is the top milonga and Sharon and Nikki have spent time and effort breaking into the dance circles. Sharon introduced Begonia to men who would talk for a while but then not ask her to dance. It was only at the end of the evening that Begonia started to get dances with some of the good men. The arrangement is strange in that there is a room to sit in and a separate room to dance. It was a good experience!
Friday and Saturday after dancing Sharon, Jim, Begonia and I sat round the table with drinks and nibbles and talked and laughed and it was so lovely and so much fun.
Sunday I drove back (with a short stop for lunch with Paula) to Nottingham for the Sunday Lounge Tea Dance while Sharon and Begonia went to Diss for much more informal tango which turned out to be B's favourite!

Rant 3: the girls dance, with their eyes shut,with certain men and come back to me to tell me what a great dancer he is. OK they have done wonderful things, boleos, leg wraps, volcadas...and stuff they never knew they could do. I watch these men dance and often they are rubbish in terms of style! They never collect, never brush their knees together, are frequently on both feet, braced to instigate some move, their shoulders hunched,  back bent,  left arm working overtime....of course that list is all faults of mine that I am desperately trying to correct. Does it matter, if the girls don't care?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home