Bob's Blog

This Blog will follow my adventures - well holidays really. Hopefully you will want to tell me what you enjoyed in the countries I have visited and maybe recommend places to go.

Friday, February 24, 2012

San Martin de los Andes

Isn't that a wonderful name for a place? I think I could benefit from a better addres: Riverview de los Andes sounds good and I am sure the mail will not be delayed and resale value is up already!
Again I was the only English speaking person on the bus but everybody smiles so that is OK. However it was a cloudy day that did not improve, in fact the worse weather of the entire holiday, but I am not complaining. It was a 400km round trip to view 7 lakes from various angles, all set amongst the mountains. Some of the rock is very pale (Dulux might call it stone blush as fawn is too ordinary!) The tops of the mountains, above the tree line, are very pale and I thought at first it was snow. Sadly with the weather, the mountains were silhouettes and their reflections in these mirror lakes amounted to shades of gray. We arrived at San Martin de los Andes, set on the edge of a lake at about 1pm with a couple of hours to look around. Somehow I was expecting a small village of stone houses built centuries ago. Quite the reverse, it is the most modern place I have seen, lovely houses and shops mostly coordinated and built of wood. Surely only the rich who love chocolate live here! It rivals Bariloche for choc shops.

Back to Bariloche in the rain with everywhere looking very sad. So after 5 cities, 7 internal flights, 10 excursions I have two days of travel to get back.
Please beam me to Nottingham, Scotty!
Quiero mi casa y mi cama!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home