Bob's Blog

This Blog will follow my adventures - well holidays really. Hopefully you will want to tell me what you enjoyed in the countries I have visited and maybe recommend places to go.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Pena

The n should have a squiggle over it which I will edit in when I have access to my iPad. The sound is more nya than n. This is even more important with ano (please use the squiggle)
This was a marvellous evening. I wanted to experience the Pena folk music and the road round the corner from my Hotel, Paseo Balcarse, has many. It is THE place to visit. I didn't think I could face a 3 hour show which was on offer so randomly went into a bar where the music was being played. Essentially it is guitar and drums, we had a second guitar but there can be a bass and more. The rhythmns are quite complicated but people know how to clap to the music and it was lovely that many were mouthing the words.
We then had some dancers, gaucho dress for the men, long flared skirts for the women. The dances involve hankerchiefs being waved around encircling the woman. I am going to give up pathetic little tissues and see if I can find the old big square hankerchief and if I can't get a dance partner, waving that around will fetch them to me. Lovely dancing, slow with lots of eye contact.
When they play the classic folk dance, which we have seen at milongas here, everybody claps and an old couple who were really enjoying the show, got up and danced. By this time I was nearly through my half bottle of wine and felt I could join in if somebody waved a hankie at me.
Then our Gaucho talked a lot and started to ask people where they were from, "Buenos Aires" applause, "Cordoba" applause. Then it got to me "Inglaterra" applause, not a slight hesitation. I risked all "Me gusta Argentina", rapturous applause!
Manana, I am applying for role as British Ambassador to Argentina. I bet I dance tango better than the current one. To celebrate, I ordered dessert. I could not understand what was on offer so went for the longest name. I knew it had honey on it so it went down well.
The Gaucho came round selling CDs, so I bought one. The wine was drunk by now. Good job they were not selling the Gaucho outfit or I would have looked really stupid at Heathrow! Eventually I had to wander slowly and unsteadily to my Hotel but the road was still buzzing, all the parties showed no sign of slowing down.
I need a better biological clock!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home