Bob's Blog

This Blog will follow my adventures - well holidays really. Hopefully you will want to tell me what you enjoyed in the countries I have visited and maybe recommend places to go.

Thursday, November 09, 2017

Song of the month - Patience Paciencia

Patience
lyrics by Francisco Gorrindo
music by Juan D’Arienzo
Last night, my eyes fell on you again;
last night, I had you at my side again.
Why should I have seen you if, after everything,
we were two strangers looking into the past!
You’re not the same, nor am I the same…
Years! Life! Who knows what else…
Once and for all, better to be frank:
you and I cannot go back to the past.
Patience,
life is like it is:
out of pure ego, we tried to get together
and now those same egos reveal how different we are–
why should we fake this?
Patience,
life is like it is:
Neither of us is to blame, if there is any one to blame.
That’s why my hand that you clasped in silence
did not tremble when I left.
Let’s pretend that it was all a dream
that it was a lie that we searched for each other;
that way, happily, we’ve still got the consolation
of believing that we haven’t changed.
I have a picture of you at twenty
when you were the center of my little world
I want to see you always as lovely as then:
what happened last night was just a dream.
.....................
Translation by Derrick Del Pilar (Poesia de Gotan). Edited by Nancy
Paciencia
Anoche, de nuevo te vieron mis ojos;
anoche, de nuevo te tuve a mi lao.
¡Pa qué te habré visto si, después de todo,
fuimos dos extraños mirando el pasao!
Ni vos sos la misma, ni yo soy el mismo…
¡Los años! … ¡La vida!… ¡Quién sabe lo qué!…
De una vez por todas mejor la franqueza:
yo y vos no podemos volver al ayer.
Paciencia…
La vida es así.
Quisimos juntarnos por puro egoísmo
y el mismo egoísmo nos muestra distintos.
¿Para qué fingir?
Paciencia…
La vida es así.
Ninguno es culpable, si es que hay una culpa.
Por eso, la mano que te di en silencio
no tembló al partir.
Haremos de cuenta que todo fue un sueño,
que fue una mentira habernos buscao;
así, buenamente, nos queda el consuelo
de seguir creyendo que no hemos cambiao.
Yo tengo un retrato de aquellos veinte años
cuando eras del barrio el sol familiar.
Quiero verte siempre linda como entonces:
lo que pasó anoche fue un sueño no más.
......................
I have four recordings of Paciencia which might be
D’Arienzo with Enrique Carbel (1937), with Alberto Echagüe (1951,1970)
Canaro with Roberto Maida (1938).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home