Bob's Blog

This Blog will follow my adventures - well holidays really. Hopefully you will want to tell me what you enjoyed in the countries I have visited and maybe recommend places to go.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Tete Rusconi

This article by Tete Rusconi was originally posted by Veronica Rue in the original Spanish. I found the Facebook translation impossible to understand. It has been translated by Nancy Segovia and edited by Bob Murray.

Tete Rusconi
With the respect that I have for the tango community, I would like to point out the many errors that are being made in the teaching of tango and the performances in tango shows. Each young person who dances tango should understand my motives. There is no need to mask or disguise tango in any way. Tango music is passionate, beautiful and gives us energy and pleasure so that we may feel better.

I always knew that the music is the principle base of tango. Also it is the basis to walk with the music, having balance and cadence. I could not tell you there is no technique in tango but more freedom could be taught. If you dance for yourself, it becomes fun. No one can jeopardise you for dancing for yourself.

Teachers and the community are disguising tango. You have to teach walking to the different musical beats, to be able to recognise different orchestras. Many teachers should learn to dance tango themselves, in order to teach, giving everything of themselves so as not to disappoint their students or damage their image as a teacher.

Tango is not a business even though many see it as such. Tango is part of our life, part of our grandparents, father, mother, brother and friends. We should not make so many changes but go back to conquer it, as we are losing it for a lack of respect.

Dear friends, dancers; in shows, dance more tango and not acrobatics, ballet etc.

I don't want to know that exhibitions are competitive. Every couple should create their own style and not use music that is not tango music. Don't lie to yourself nor to the people.

For the European community, my advice is that I would like you to open your eyes on how to learn to dance. When you organise something use the best dancers and maestros who can teach properly.

Without the music, the cadence, posture and balance, steps are not useful. We need maestros not athletic teachers.

Honestly from my heart but with some sadness, I would like you to think about changing the system. I am always available to discuss anything.

Translated by Nancy Segovia.

Tete Rusconi (1936 - 2010) was a much respected milonguero, particularly admired for the way he danced Tango Vals. He wrote this article in 2006 in Buenos Aires, clearly disappointed at the standard of teaching, the "show" steps being taught and the use of music which was not classic tango music. The music determines the dance.
He would not be pleased with the way things are right now and who am I to disagree!
Bob Murray

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home