Bob's Blog

This Blog will follow my adventures - well holidays really. Hopefully you will want to tell me what you enjoyed in the countries I have visited and maybe recommend places to go.

Saturday, October 04, 2014

Rome Tango Festival (26 - 30 June 2014)

This is a major festival and the Krakow 5 became the Rome 4 (Regina, Phil, Lorenzo and me). The big attraction apart from the City itself, was Chicho Frumboli. He is a legend and along with Horacio Godoy is taking tango to new dimensions. Regina and I booked 6 of his workshops and he was an inspiration. We are much more Nuevo dancers now! He has a reputation for showing what is to be done and not spending much time helping couples. We did not find this. He is not the busiest of teachers but when needed he was on hand with very helpful comments. His partner Juana Sepulveda was also very helpful. Their demonstration dance on Saturday (in front of my estimate of 700 people) was so beautiful and I do believe there were tears in Juana's eyes at the end!
The pattern of the day was sight-seeing in the morning, workshops in the afternoon and milongas in the evening, or more exactly, at night. We left our hotel at midnight to go to the Saturday milonga! There was not much sight-seeing on Sunday morning!
Our small hotel was perfect, we were made very welcome. We were 10 minutes walk from the Fermi (the well known nuclear physicist) tube station which was 15 minutes from the Coliseum stop. No need to ask direction when we emerged from the underground, just tilt the head back! We managed to take in a lot of the major sites but I would like to return as a tourist but I doubt as a tango dancer. The Festival was too big and the milongas anonymous. Nobody refused a dance with me but I never felt I was part of the proceedings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home