Bob's Blog

This Blog will follow my adventures - well holidays really. Hopefully you will want to tell me what you enjoyed in the countries I have visited and maybe recommend places to go.

Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Inglaterra 1 Cuba 0

We were wandering along the road near our hotel and saw some guys setting up a table tennis table. So in walks Cheryl with me running after, in the hope we would not end up being sold as part of the white slave trade (revenge). They handed over the bats and C and I had a little game. Then the champion took C's bat and indicated that he wanted to play me. He made lots of shrugs of the shoulders, adjusting his shirt, all mind games, but he did have an excellent serve, tossing the ball high and hitting the ball with a sharp action. However there was not much spin on the ball because the bats were rubbish. I got more spin in general play and dunked him a few times. Reluctantly cutting a long story short I beat him 11-8. I am hoping that I beat not just the best of the four but maybe champion of the street, maybe Trinidad itself or the whole of Cuba! This game may be given full international status and so there is a title to defend when any reader goes to Cuba.
I thought one game was enough and that he could brood for years how some old guy from England, dressed in his best shirt, whipped him! To soften the blow I gave them 10 CUC to buy better bats as they were expecting school kids in the morning.
I suspect they might drink the 10 CUC in beer while wondering where to get table tennis bats!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home