Bob's Blog

This Blog will follow my adventures - well holidays really. Hopefully you will want to tell me what you enjoyed in the countries I have visited and maybe recommend places to go.

Monday, March 28, 2016

Cabaceo

I have debated the cabaceo many times with many people. I think it is powerful, in particular it empowers women, and it is discreet.
Why is there this reluctance to use eye contact? We use eye contact all the time, every day. I was walking yesterday and 90% of people I passed, made eye contact and smiled and sometimes we exchanged comments. A few people kept their heads down and silently went by. Sadly, I wondered what bothered them. I make eye contact with other drivers to make certain they have seen me and that we will stick to the legal rights of way. In a crowded street I make eye contact to be certain I won't bump into anyone, and I angle my chest as I do with a tango partner to indicate direction. I use my eyes to allow people through a door I may be holding. When I was much younger, I would make eye contact with beautiful girls so they knew I recognised their beauty!
So why this fear of the cabaceo, why the need to have someone standing over you to ask you to dance. If I was a woman I would not have the courage to say no to such an approach. And yet we all have every right to choose our partner. The cabaceo is NOT a one way process. Women must sit up straight, look like they want to dance, have their glasses on if need be and look for men that are also looking around. When eyes meet do not let those eyes go and you will be rewarded with many dances with the partners you want. When you catch the eyes of somebody you really do not want to dance with, you just turn you head away and he is dismissed for ever! Who has the power?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home