Bob's Blog

This Blog will follow my adventures - well holidays really. Hopefully you will want to tell me what you enjoyed in the countries I have visited and maybe recommend places to go.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Edinburgh International Tango Festival 24-27 May

This is the fourth time I have attended the Festival and I love it. I love Edinburgh and it looked at its best on Saturday with the backing of a cloudless blue sky. Those solid buildings looked even more emphatic and indestructible. On that basis alone I would vote for independence if I were a Scotsman. It's an emotional decision, forget all that economic stuff. But I digress, Regina and I were there for the tango!
The formula is great, workshops limited in number of participants, great teachers (of course Jennie and Ricardo are supreme), the cafe with many hours of informal dancing and some lovely milongas, with spectacular demonstration dances by the teachers. So can there be anything to complain about! Well, of course there is always something.....the floorcraft at the milongas is bad, bordering on dangerous. So, what can be done? Here are my thoughts. Some rules should be published, dance in lanes, no stepping backwards, no big gaps in front, clear the floor completely when the cortina plays and so on. A respected Maestro should be in charge of the DJ and the conduct of the milonga. His/her job is to remind people of the rules and maybe when the floor gets crowded to announce no extravagant boleos of ganchos. My special hate is for those who dance with upper arm horizontal so the elbow sticks out, just about at head height. This is an act of aggression! I do not walk down the street with fists clenched which is an equivalent gesture! You can't play contact sports with elbows like that! The Maestro should warn and then dismiss them from the milonga.
Rant over, thank you Edinburgh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home