Bob's Blog

This Blog will follow my adventures - well holidays really. Hopefully you will want to tell me what you enjoyed in the countries I have visited and maybe recommend places to go.

Thursday, February 02, 2012

The Perrito Moreno Glacier

My excursion started at 8am with an 11/2 hour drive alongside Lake Argentino, Argentina's largest and into the National Park.  In getting here we have seen Condors, maybe 7 circling in the thermals above the mountains.  We are getting mouth watering views of the glacier and the mountains beyond.  However into a catamaran for a close up view and it is very impressive.  We saw a small piece drop off into the lake and throughout the day heard groans and occasional roar as big pieces came off - never of course in view!
Back into our minibus and to the Visitor Centre which sits on top of a hill looking down on the glacier.  This is amazing as we can see the glacier from its origin in the snow covered heights.  It has an incredible surface and the blue colouration is so marked in many crevices.
I walked for a couple of hours around the excellent walkways, up and down to the various view points and I took an embarrasing number of photos and video clips.
Altogether a day that exceeded expectation even though I have seen many pictures of this glacier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home