Bob's Blog

This Blog will follow my adventures - well holidays really. Hopefully you will want to tell me what you enjoyed in the countries I have visited and maybe recommend places to go.

Thursday, February 02, 2012

El Calafate

El Calafate is an interesting place.  My very good 3* hotel, Rincon del Calafate, is about 15 minute walk from the centre and the roads near the hotel are not surfaced yet.  So very rough hard core and I noticed that a lot of people like me were in walking boots.  Let's be decent to the town; it is a big centre for walking and especially for seeing the glaciers, so perhaps it is not that the roads would ruin decent shoes.
It did seem to be a frontier town but when you get into the centre you realise that it is grasping the tourist opportunity very firmly.  Lots of outdoor shops, many sellers of excursions, horse riding, walking on the glacier or just walking.
A lot of building going on, from hostels to very attractive apartments on the hillside overlooking the centre.  It looks like Calafate is moving very rapidly upwards and since a hospital and school are being built, a lot of people are investing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home