Bob's Blog

This Blog will follow my adventures - well holidays really. Hopefully you will want to tell me what you enjoyed in the countries I have visited and maybe recommend places to go.

Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Guernsey 30 Oct - 2 Nov 2009

Guernsey is a splendid place - why had I not realised that many years ago! Very relaxed, 30mph speed limit, no parking charges, just a time limit, beautiful beaches and wonderful coastline. Cheryl and I enjoyed a day of walking exploring some of the coast line - warm enough for just one layer. Bittersweet memories for Cheryl as her last visit to this Island was with her late Mother.


Cheryl knows the island well and we explored some of its history. It was of strategic importance and there are bunkers built by Napoleon as well as many by the Germans who occupied it throughout the 2nd World War. One bunker that we wandereed into had been inherited by the local bikers and we enjoyed a great welcome, a tour of the bunker and a history lesson - perhaps the highlight, certainly the most unusual aspect, of the trip.
Excellent hotel (Le Friquet) with good food and wine.
I want to visit again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home