Bob's Blog

This Blog will follow my adventures - well holidays really. Hopefully you will want to tell me what you enjoyed in the countries I have visited and maybe recommend places to go.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A New House for Doug

I have spent quite a lot of time over the last 9 months with Cheryl as the house for her father developed from ideas to reality. The large garden in the house that Cheryl (and sister Ros ) were born in was becoming a burden and could be divided to provide a more than adequate garden for the old house and a manageable one for the new house. Of course, Cheryl carried the responsibility and acted as a project manager, Jeremy (Horizon Builders) was the excellent builder but I like to think that I added my bit when I could. There was always a lot of work to do peripheral to the building. Plants to be moved or protected and much landscaping in readiness for the move.
The house is beautiful and the volume of the structure is used about as efficiently as is possible. There is a large kitchen/diner a high ceiling that is a feature and has a wonderful stone floor; a large bedroom downstairs with an en-suite wet room and a large living room, that has double door access from the hall. Doug can live with plenty of space on the one level. Upstairs there are 3 dormer bedrooms and bathroom.
Jeremy was the efficient modern builder and I was amazed at the current building regulations and craftsmanship of what they did, especially compared to my amateur efforts of 30 to 40 years ago when insulation was an afterthought.
The garden developed quickly with Cheryl directing Jeremy, Harry and me (at the time when we should have been in Gran Canaria). Harry was a wonderful local character who could do most things with paving, concrete and turf. Giving off a very amiable air he moved slowly around with a bit of a limp but worked quickly and we had total faith in what he did.
Cheryl was able to use her landscaping skills and the final house and garden are a delight to see and to live in. Doug moved to the new surroundings from the one he had lived in for some 60 years without batting an eye!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home