Bob's Blog

This Blog will follow my adventures - well holidays really. Hopefully you will want to tell me what you enjoyed in the countries I have visited and maybe recommend places to go.

Friday, December 19, 2008

Two Concerts

I went to see Katie Melua on 29 October and Paul Weller on 22 November, both at the Ice Stadium, now the TrentFM Arena.

Katie is extremely talented but, for me, has not written any songs that are really catchy, other than ’crazy’. She started by singing with guitar, then with piano, no other backing. Then musicians appeared - but they weren‘t real! I was thinking that this is just piped accompaniment when the screens were raised to reveal the live band. Great band and the screens were used for film and graphics to illustrate the songs. I thought it an excellent presentation.

Paul Weller took a packed Arena by storm and blew me away with 100mph stuff. However he moved onto some quiet ballad songs and demonstrated his versatility. A review in The Times said he ignored the audience - I certainly didn’t think that - we were in his hands and he has enough true fans to be cheering all the time. The reviewer said he could not see much for smoke - admittedly I was sitting high - maybe it was different at ground level - but there was no problem for me. His graphics backdrop was a bit pathetic but apart from that he was great value.
I have not been to many pop concerts but why can’t people sit still and listen. There was not a single song without my row or the stairs next to me being used for more drinks or the inevitable consequence. Standing up, dancing in the aisles, singing along is fine but why disappear for a couple of songs - or is it just being there that matters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home